Here’s three Garmin maps explicitly developed and compiled for your next enduro dirt road adventure. One map covers Corsica, Sardinia and Silcily, the other southeast of Europe (Balkan) and the third Poland.
- 1 What makes this maps so special?
- 2 Why a special dirt road map?
- 3 What are the typical features of this map?
- 4 What’s the price for the maps?
- 5 Where can I get the maps?
- 6 You want to have more details?
There are many maps available to navigate your car or motorcycle on roads, but none for enduro offroad riding. Riding adventure tracks like TET or ACT you face a different need.
Most of the maps I had on hand did not support my need of high contrast e.g. when navigating through forrests. Often dirt roads or pathes are hard to recognize. On top I had the strong need being able to autoroute those dirt roads while avoid routing into hiking pathes or military areas.
What are the typical features of this map?
- High contrast, in particular when fully zoomed in.
- Good oversight when zooming out.
- Routing on dirt roads while maintaining the capability to navigate connecting sections on the road. This only needs you to set your routing options in your GPS.
- Planning dirt road adventures in advance is key. You may want to know if the track you plan to follow is asphalt, gravel, dirt or grass. That’s what you see on my map immediately! Of course it depends on the quaility of Openstreetmap data.
- Supporting your ideas, the map includes 1″ digital elevation data (DEM). This is the best DEM data available for the public.
- What does this mean, how can it support me?
- The map is displayed in Mapsource or Basecamp like a topographic map, showing contour lines every 100m.
- When planning a trip, knowing the height and incline of your route can be very essential. In Basecamp you can immediately see the actual height beneith your mousepointer.
- Your planned routes & tracks include the height data.
- Keeping the map clean, information of little interest is suppressed (e.g. Kindergarden, Hair dresser).
- Certain information is of special interest for Enduro rider. This must be visible when you zoom out so to easy find it on the map:
- Where to stay tonight: Hotels, Campgrounds
- Having problems: General motorcycle dealer, highlighting KTM, Husqvarna and BMW dealer.
Here comes the next good message to you. The dirt road adventure maps are free of charge. I’m using Openstreetmap data and I want to support this community!
Where can I get the maps?
Let’s go for it here!
Latest update: 11 July 2019
All download links will point you to a Strato Cloud-Drive. You need to accept the download from there.
Windows installer. Routes can be planned on your PC by the use of Mapsource or Basecamp. Maps can be transferred to your Garmin GPS device as usual.
You don’t want to bother about Basecamp or Mapsource but simply load the dirt road adventure map to your Garmin GPS device?
You run a MAC and need a solution? Take this one.